Thursday, January 24, 2013

Weight Watchers...Sort of

As the New Year was approaching, I sat down with my mom and best friend, and we all decided that it was time to take our health seriously.  A little background for perspective...

I have pretty much struggled with my weight my whole life.  The older I got, the more I tended to "settle" into it, figuring that this was it.  This was me.  I was and never have been obese, but I've always carried far more weight than my short frame should ever have to hold.  This has pretty much been the case for all of the women on my mom's side of the family (except for my freakishly perfect precious younger sister -- more on that later another day).  In fact, my mom was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes about three years ago.  That scared the mess out of all of us.  Her doctor put her on a super strict, crazy successful diet, which allowed her to get her weight into the normal range.  Although she will always be labeled "diabetic," her weight loss was such an encouragement to her doctor that she no longer really considered her to be a diabetic.  Of course, time and stress took its toll, and she has gained some (not nearly all) of that weight back.

Now, back to the New Year...

We all decided that we needed a life change.  Not a diet, per se, but a completely different view on health and lifestyle.  Interestingly enough, I came across Cherish at Southern Soul Mates' blog post about the difference between struggling for skinny and striving for healthy.  She eloquently expressed everything that I have been feeling and thinking lately about how I want to approach my weight loss goal for this year.  Specifically, she shared the truth about our bodies:  they are temples, given to us by a God who loves us and created us to love and bring glory to Him.  I know that I cannot adequately serve Him when my body is not at its best.

If I'm being completely candid here, I can think back to church canoe trips I didn't take, service projects I wouldn't join, and Student Life camps I didn't attend because I knew that I wouldn't be comfortable in my own skin.  Pretty much when summer rolls around, I become a total hermit and/or live in jeans and 3/4 sleeves.  Not exactly comfort-wear in the Florida Panhandle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete recluse, and I grew up actively involved in my church.  But, I distinctly remember feeling self-conscious about involving myself in any sort of activity-based project or opportunity, and I do remember passing on a few.  In those situations, my health held me back from fully serving Christ in the way He intended.


Since January 1st, my mom, my best friend, and I have all been working toward our goals of achieving  healthier lifestyles.  We're all going about it in different ways, which completely fits our distinct personalities.  Personally, I'm doing a variation of the Weight Watchers diet.  I haven't signed up online, and I'm not attending a local class.  Pinterest and food bloggers have really been my key to success.  That, and preplanning.  I cannot stress the difference that it makes to know exactly what you will consume each day.  When you track what you eat and preplan your meals, it's so much easier to stay on track.  

I've also learned the beauty of substitutions.  It's ah-mazing the calories you can cut by making a few simple substitutions in your recipe!  That, to me, is what Weight Watchers is all about.  I have not once, since beginning this diet, felt deprived.  Y'all, I've cooked some seriously yummy stuff!  

Here's one of my go-to recipes:



It's currently day 24 of my "diet," and I am happy to report that I've lost 12 pounds.  I still have a good ways to go, but it's an awesome start.

Please keep me in your prayers as I continue on this journey toward a healthier lifestyle!


More recipes and updates to come!




2 comments:

  1. Suzanne, this made me cry! I am SO proud of you and the steps you are taking to be healthy for all the right reasons! Thank you so much for joining us and for sharing with us! I am praying for your success and that you can achieve your goals. That recipe sounds amazing! :) Have a blessed weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherish, you made my day! I'm excited about what you're doing, and I love the accountability. You are such an encouragement and set an amazing example on your blog. I love reading and appreciate you sharing your faith! Thank you so much for the prayers and support. They mean more than you know!! :)

      Delete